When the science teacher, Patty, approached the art teacher and me this year about working together to create a science expo as opposed to our usual science fair, I was stoked. Usual the science “fair” consists of experiments and inventions and it’s gotten pretty stale.
Patty had this fabulous idea to give the students (5th through 7th graders…I’ll get to the 8th graders later.) a choice on how they would best like to express a science concept or topic. They could either use art or technology or do the usually experiment or invention. The art teacher, Grace, got many willing participants and I got 6 groups, mostly 6th graders, who wanted to make a Mr. Parr type video for their projects.
It was a long 3 months.
Between research papers and keeping the kids on track with creating lyrics and then realizing that I never really asked them how they planned on creating the video, only to be surprised that they all were mostly done creating PowerPoint presentations with images and the lyrics….well let’s say it was stressful but well worth every minute.
I helped my students edit everything they had created together using Camtasia. They provided the music (lyrics sung by them) and the PPT and I sat with them and put it all together. I am so proud of them all and the finished products.
For the most part they kept on task and had something to teach the viewer and they were entertaining.
My 8th graders had a separate assignment for the expo. They were charged with completing both art and technology projects based around a notable person in science and/or art.
They all created podcasts “interviewing” their subject. They each wrote a script and then had someone read the scrip with them while recording using an iPad. Our recent implementation of Google Apps for Education really came in handy since there was alot of sharing of music, raw voice recordings and pictures for this project.
My personal favorite creative idea was from a student, Matthew, who’s scientist/artist was Michelangelo and he used his father, who speaks with an Italian accent, as his partner in the interview.
Along with the podcasts the students had to find a picture of their subject and then use photo editing to place themselves in the picture with their subject. We don’t have Photoshop or anything awesome to do this in school, so I showed them how to do it in MS Paint.
The finished work is impressive considering the time and tech restraints we worked with. I’m looking forward to next year’s Expo since we’ve decided to start working on it in September and make it a year long journey.
You can check out some of the winning project videos, the “Mr. Parr” videos and the podcasts here at a site I created to showcase the expo.
Lego car created for one of the Science Expo projects.